Constipation is a possible side effect of a keto diet, especially if you’re doing a low-carb diet for the first time and your digestive system needs time to adapt.
Here are some tips that should help you avoid it:
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Eat loads of vegetables. Allowed vegetables are spinach, lettuce, kale, asparagus, cucumber, zucchini, eggplant, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper (green, red, yellow), green beans, Brussels sprouts, celery stalks, radish. Include other keto-friendly products that are high in fiber like avocados, olives (be mindful since they are high in calories), mushrooms.
- Try to be as physically active as possible – go for a walk or exercise at home. Exercise helps constipation by lowering the time it takes food to move through the large intestine.
- Add keto-friendly fiber supplements to your nutrition.
- Get enough sleep (about 7–9 hours).